Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Page 3 - No Origami Paper? Oh No, What a Predicament!


Greetings, it's me, Alberto, but you can call me the Makerspace Guy!

In my last post, I wrote about introducing origami to your students.  You can check out that blog entry by simply clicking on the orange link: Easy Origami for Kids (K-5th).


Once they learn about origami, many children want to create projects at home.  In order to learn more, they check out origami instruction books from the library, buy their own manuals at Book Fairs, and view popular YouTube instructional videos.  However, most households don't stock store-bought origami paper or have fancy paper cutters to make the needed paper squares.


"No origami paper?  Oh no, what a predicament!"


So with the help of my talented hubby, we produced a special video tutorial to help my students.  To make it more entertaining for the kiddos, I decided it should star my little "nephew" Gregbert, who is of elementary school age and happens to be extremely creative. 😉


Press the YouTube play button to view:


Wow, that Cha-cha is one talented dog!

Here are some other helpful tips, hacks, and bright ideas...

TEACHING TIP:


Most origami projects start with a square. So, remind students that a square has 4 equal sides.  ---  Many kids who cut their own origami paper come to me frustrated because their creations turn out crooked.  The main culprit is usually starting with uneven squares.


PRACTICAL TIP:


Make available several clear plastic rulers, scissors, pencils with erasers, plus various square shapes, to help your students cut their own origami paper.  ---  Square tissue boxes are a perfect pattern-making size!


MONEY-SAVING HACK:

  • Encourage families to donate their unused wrapping paper after birthdays or holidays so kids can make colorful squares!
  • For those folks who subscribe to the newspaper, ask them to donate the Sunday Comics sections.  However, I wouldn't ask for the entire newspaper, since some of the stories can be distressing for children.  ---  SIDE NOTE: To my surprise, many of my students have never read comics from a newspaper!
  • If a child uses just a bit of construction paper for a craft project, suggest taking the leftovers and cutting paper squares for origami.


BRIGHT IDEAS:


  • Make special event or holiday-themed origami projects with sheets of wrapping paper.  ---  Most of these structures will need some sort of adhesive since the sheets will naturally want to roll back up.
  • Have several types of tape handy for the many types of paper.  ---  Glossy wrapping holds better with glossy tape.
  • Add some yard or pipe cleaners to origami projects and create holiday ornaments or gift tags!


Well, friends, I hope this blog entry has given you all some helpful hints and exciting ideas to try in your own classrooms and homes.  Please feel free to leave any questions or suggestions in the comment section.


---  Stay creative, The Makerspace Guy






(Pictures collected for the collages and the photos used for this blog entry were all found online.) 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'd love for us to keep in touch!  So, I invite you to my main online platforms:

Please "Follow" and share my Makerspace blog, here on Blogger @
The Makerspace Guy.

You can also connect with me through social media:


Twitter: @makerspaceguy 

Instagram: makerspaceguy

Pinterest: @makerspaceguy

NOTE: Simply click on the orange links to get to each site.


#Makerspace #MakerspaceGuy #TheMakerspaceGuy #STEM #STEMeducation #STEAM #STEAMeducation #art #crafts #ArtsAndCrafts #CraftsForKids #EasyCraftsForKids #MakerspaceOnABudget #ElementarySchool #TipsForTeachers #TeachingTips #ClassroomTips 

#origami #OrigamiForKids #EasyOrigami #EasyOrigamiForKids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page 9 - My Favorite Connect-the-Dots Site!

Greetings, it's me, Alberto, but you can call me the Makerspace Guy! CONNECT-THE-DOTS (also known as "Dot to Dot" or "Joi...